Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Grandmother's House

We spent this past weekend helping my Grandmother (Grant's GiGi) pack up and move to my parent's house. She has lived in this house that was built on part of my great grandparents farm land for 30 years. I have so many great memories of growing up in this house...Granddaddy teaching me to ride my bike without training wheels, all of the weekend sleepovers with my cousins and sisters, eating supper there every Sunday night, packing up the car to go on the yearly beach trip, breakfast and opening presents on Christmas morning, and playing wiffle ball in the front yard with the entire family are just a few that come to mind.  I loved walking in and seeing Granddaddy sitting in his recliner with that huge smile that was always on his face.  Granddaddy has been gone for 4 years now and I can't explain how much I miss him.  He was so caring, loving and giving and I learned so much from him.  He will always be one of the most special people in my life.  I would give anything for him to have met Grant.  He would absolutely adore him and would love watching all of the great-grandchildren play together. I know he watches over us every day.

Although I know it was an extremely difficult decision, GiGi decided that this house was too much for her at this point in her life. I completely understand and know it is probably for the best, but it is so bittersweet to know there will be no more memories for our family at "grandmother and granddaddy's house."  Grant is so fortunate to have two great-grandmothers and two sets of grandparents to be able to spend time with and he will create so many memories of his own with them. I know we will make new memories in different ways and I wouldn't give anything for the memories that I have of the time spent in this house.



Grant and Hannah riding their bikes during the move

 Taking a rest break with GiGi
This has been above the carport for as long as I can remember...
I am really going to miss this house.

2 comments:

  1. This post made me cry! I know there are so many memories in this house and it brings up so many emotions. Grant is so lucky to have this written down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog entry was really difficult to write...there were so many tears! I do want Grant to read this one day and know more about his great grandparents and my memories of growing up.

    ReplyDelete