Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Remembering Granny

I had the privilege of having and knowing a wonderful grandmother for 33 years, my Granny Harris. She was loving, caring, very independent and loved her family so much. She was fortunate to be blessed with great health for most of the 95 years of her life. She lived independently and had very few health problems until a few weeks ago, which is remarkable. My most fond memories of Granny are spending Christmas Eve with the Harris family each year and spending weekends together at Lake James. She loved spending time with the grandchildren and the great-grandchildren as our family grew larger and larger. I am so glad that Grant and Colton had such a special lady as one of their great-grandmothers.

She became another guardian angel for us, along with Daddy, last Friday. The funeral service yesterday was beautiful and such a celebration of her life. Four family members spoke in her honor including Kelli. We had a huge meal provided by the church afterwards and she would have loved that we were all eating together as a family. I will keep her memory alive for Grant and Colton and feel so fortunate to have had such a loving grandmother for so many years.

Below is the eulogy Kelli shared, which captures a lot of Granny's spirit and many of the memories that I also have of her.

Only take care, and keep your soul diligently, lest you forget the things that your eyes have seen, and lest they depart from your heart all the days of your life. Make them known to your children and your children's children.”  Deuteronomy 4:9
             When you think about a perfect life well lived, Granny would be a great example of that.  Granny lived for 95 wonderful years devoted to her family and to the Lord.  As long as I can remember Granny shared with her family the importance of faith. Granny was a very religious woman, but would never preach her faith. She showed by example her a belief in God by reading her Bible daily. Days when I would stay with her when I was little she would read to me from that huge Holy Bible, too big for me even to pick up.

              Granny loved her family so deeply, she had 5 wonderful children, Joyce, Barbara, Peggy, Jerry, and my Daddy, Billy David.  I know that she and Daddy are having a great time together up in Heaven.  Daddy has probably already had her make him some country style steak.  Granny also had 12 grandchildren, and 32 great-grandchildren.  I am number 11 of the 12 grandchildren and my most favorite memories of our time together is every year on Christmas Eve we would all come together for Christmas at Granny’s.  Now this is the day that Granny loved the most as well because Christmas was her favorite time of the year. Granny was a bargain shopper, she had to be, and could you image buying Christmas gifts for all of these people in the family? But believe me Granny did and not only one gift but she got 4 or 5 gifts for everyone. She spends time throughout the year taking advantage of sales and shopping the after Christmas sales for the next year.  I do believe that Peggy and Barbara said the gifts for this year are already bought and ready.  One thing that makes it all so very special is we each take turns youngest to oldest and Granny watches us open our gifts individually.  This time with each one of us was special to Granny and she enjoyed it so much. When Granny was able to sew she would make us handmade dolls or animals as a part of our Christmas gifts for the grandchildren.  We were so excited every year to see what she had made. I am very grateful for the loved that was passed down to me from Granny through my aunts, uncles, and parents.

                Granny also loved the summertime and spending her weekends at Lake James. Luckily for me so did I, all summer long I would get to see Granny every weekend at the Lake. It was weird Granny did not like the water much, and I do believe I only remember one time in all the years we went to the lake Granny getting on the boat.  Believe me she had her life jacket on the whole time. She liked to stay on dry land cooking for us and watching us play, fish, and ride the golf cart.  Granny also loved the campfires every night.  She would come out with her bonnet on to cover her ears and sit around the fire with our family, Peggy’s family, and any other friend or neighbor that would show up.  Believe me the stories and conversation always turned interesting and Granny always had something to say.  Then on Sunday morning we would all gather together on our porch for breakfast buffet.  Granny always brought sausage links, grits, and coffee.  I think that’s why I like coffee so much now because Granny would let me drink it mixed with lots of sugar and cream.  I am so thankful for my time and memories of fun times with Granny at Lake James.
                I am so thankful for the legacy that Granny has left behind for me through her faith, love, and kindness she has shown all these years.  I know I speak for all the family when I say Granny was truly a remarkable person and will be truly missed.  We are all thankful for the love she has shown each of us. Granny even new when everyone’s Birthday was in the whole family, because she would give each of us a birthday card with $5 in it every year.  When Granny was able to cook she would also make us our favorite dessert or cake for our birthday to take home with us as well.  I would always ask for Strawberry Brownie Tort and it was so good.  A few years ago for a Christmas gift with the help of Barbara and Lisa, Granny picked her favorite recipes and put them together in a cookbook for everyone and that is something that all of us will keep and cherish to make for our families now and the future.  I am so blessed to have had Granny in my life for almost 30 years, the love that she has shown me will last me a lifetime.

Granny is not a huge fan of taking pictures so I don't have tons of pictures of her with the boys. Below are a few that I do have.
Grant meeting Granny for the first time
 Christmas 2012

 Colton meeting Granny
We will miss you so much Granny!

No comments:

Post a Comment